Sunday, March 31, 2013

My Good Friend..... Jesus


Ted Neeley, as Jesus in "Jesus Christ Superstar"

I’ve got a friend in Jesus. Literally.

I’ve always been wary of mentioning Jesus in my writing.

Because, as soon as I do, I worry that people will say my message about finding the sacred in moments is only for Catholics, especially since I am one.

But it isn’t.

It’s for everyone.

But that doesn’t dismiss the fact that, all my life, I’ve been drawn to Jesus. Whether I was watching “Passion of the Christ” or “Last Temptation of Christ” or talking to Ted Neeley, who portrayed Jesus in the musical and movie “Jesus Christ Superstar,” after one of his performances. Where I noticed his peaceful eyes and calming voice, most likely borne of a lifetime playing such a man.

And, in fact, I’ve often wished I could have hung out with Jesus. Walking. Talking. Grabbing a snack. Telling jokes. Sometimes cheering him up when he realized how much the world still had to learn about love.

As I said, I feel like I know him.

Now, to be honest, I often struggle between faith and doubt as to whether a man could actually have been the son of God and rose from the dead. But, for me, he didn’t really have to.


For me, it was enough that he died for love. And, for me, anyone who would do that is part of God anyway.

Yes, Jesus’ simple message, love each other, even your enemies, even when it’s hard, in fact, especially then, was more than enough to make him someone I’d admire, and follow.

Love each other.

Simple, yet profound.

Then again, my friend Jesus always had a way with words.

1 comment:

  1. Yor friend sounds very much the like the Jesus I have come to know. Thank you for reintroducing him to the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete