Monday, November 7, 2011

I Saw God in a Church Pew


I saw God in a pew yesterday.

Yesterday, Gina and I were in church with my son and daughter.

As we stood, I looked over and saw a father arrive with his teenage son. His son appeared to have a more significant type of autism, but I’m only guessing by the little I know and what I saw.

At times, throughout the mass, the boy would rock back and forth, and fling his arms. Once, he also yelled.

And that is when I saw God.

As the boy whipsawed his arms, the father forcefully but gently grabbed him, and held him close. Then he leaned over and whispered into the boy’s ear. All the while smiling.

Soon the boy calmed down.

Then the mother and sister joined them.

The mother on one side of the boy. The father on the other. And the sister on the end. All of them alternately hugging and holding him, while smiling and talking quietly into his ear.

As I listened to the words of love shared by a man over two thousand years ago, I looked over and saw that love come to life.

And then I looked to my right. My wife and daughter, their profiles so perfect and so much the same. And my own teenage son, tall now, with a face stretching between boy and man.

Right there was the beauty that can sometimes bring me to tears.

That can often leave me unable to find the words to describe it.

Life filled with love and joy and a mess of flaws, pain and fear.

All moments that will never come again.

If you miss them the first time, you’ll miss them forever.

So stay awake.

Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment