Monday, November 21, 2011

Happy Thankstaking Day!

Happy Thankstaking Day!

Yes, I know, it’s usually “Thanksgiving.”

But, for today, let’s just focus on receiving thanks.

There’s an art to humbly doing so. But it can still be difficult.

I know that, for me, I tend to want to thank my thanker, which can lead to an endless loop.

“Thank you, Jim. You really helped me.”

“Oh, not a problem, Frank. Thank you for your kind words.”

“No, no, thank YOU, Jim. You went out of your way and I won’t forget it.”

“Well, I appreciate your saying that. Thanks again, Frank.”

And it goes on.

When, really, by not welcoming someone’s thanks, you are actually doing them a disservice.

Keeping them from fully expressing their gratitude and knowing it has been accepted.

So, today, I’m going to try something new.

If I help someone and they thank me for it, I’m going to simply say “You’re welcome.”

Not, “You’re welcome, and thanks.”

Or, “You’re welcome, and how ‘bout them Cubs?”

Instead, just “You’re welcome,”

Then, I’ll shut up.

Not for long. And not to be rude.

But to let the circle complete itself.

The one in which someone needed help.

And I gave it.

And, next, they needed to express their appreciation.

And I received it.

Which is a gift to them – and me.

As accepting someone’s thanks reminds us that we’re all in this together, that we can’t always get up that cliff without a hand reaching down.

So, this Thanksgiving, remember that for everyone who gives thanks, someone must take it.

With that, let’s eat.

And, oh, by the way, thank you for reading my words.

It means a lot to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment